Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Laughter

Laughter is a funny thing...I don't even know where to start about it...it's natural, yet is one of the weirdest reactions ever. From a scientific view, there doesn't seem to be any point to it. What's the point of a reflex to burst out in violent sound? I can understand how the happiness is beneficial, but the actual laughter...it's strange.

There are so many variations on laughter...girls giggle, there are people that seem to explode when they laugh, people that don't make any noise as they laugh, snickers, people that sound like any variety of animals, etc. for a few hundred pages...it's something unique enough that you can identify people with it, even those with less-extreme laughs.

One last thing - I hate laugh tracks. Especially when they're poorly used or overly used. Even well placed ones tend to be annoying though. Bottom line is: Get your laughs by being funny, not by trying to pry it out of people with gimmicks.

Check out the Wikipedia article on laughter if you have time (The post name links to it). The stuff about animals is especially interesting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Put a link to the Wikipedia thing in here. BTW I hate laugh tracks too- they all sound the same and so repetitive and boring that it makes the stuff less funny.
BTW there is a scientific benefit to laughter. It's some sort of relaxor mechanism or something... anyway however it works it releases endorphins which are the "happy-making" chemicals. There you go.
P.S. Ha ha! Hee hee! Ho ho!

ZAD-Man said...

...well like I said, the post name links to it...

Also, I said I understand the happiness factor, therefore the endorphins. It's the laughing itself I'm talking about.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I realized that. I know there's some point to the actual sound but I don't remember what it is.